Top 10 Sandbag Workouts For Home & Outdoors
Getting back in shape to feel good, impress your love ones or just to feel better, is a journey. Having worked out for a dozen plus years, there are a lot of ups and downs when it comes to finding the right fitness and health routine.
Having created MT EVERFIT to help provide people with a product that won't cost an arm and a leg, I have found some of the best sandbag workouts that will not only help you burn fat but also gain muscle.
Here are a few of my top 10 fitness sandbag workouts
1. Sandbag rows - I love doing sandbag rows as they incorporate the whole entire body. Sandbag rows are perfect for building back strength, bicep and core strength, all while burning a ton of calories. Typically, I will perform all these exercises in a circuit to really boost the intensity.
2. Bicep Curls - Who doesn't love getting a good bicep pump? With MT EVERFIT Sandbags, the strategically placed handles provide a perfect and comfortable bicep curl workout. With handles placed in the center of the bag and also at the ends of the bag, you can hit all areas of the biceps.
3. Shoulder Presses - I usually like to do bicep curls and go straight into shoulder presses. In our sandbag training video section, you can see exactly how I perform this workout. As with the bicep curls, you can switch up the location of your hands to hit all areas of the shoulders. And performing bicep curls into shoulder presses, you really burn a lot of calories in a shorter amount of time, perfect for those who are trying to get a quick workout in and burn the most amount of calories in the shortest amount of time.
4. Squats - Squats have got to be one of the best workouts for core strength and quad and glute strength. MT EVERFIT Fitness Sandbags are perfect for loading on your shoulders and performing a normal squat. It feels like one of the most natural movements and the bag actually supports our posture so we do not lean too much. Over time I feel that the fitness sandbag has corrected my posture naturally.
5. Lunges - Just like with the squats, lunges are performed just the same way, with the bag hoisted around our neck situated on our shoulders. You could perform forward lunges or backward lunges. Personally, I love doing backward lunges as it feels more natural and I feel like I have more control over the positioning of my knee.
6. Abs - Since fitness sandbags are a more unstable weight (which is actually more natural), our core has to constantly work to stabilize all our muscles. The core is what keeps our bottom portion of our body attached to our upper portion. When performing all these different sandbag workouts, the core is almost always involved. So any of these workouts you are basically doing abs and building a six pack! However, there are other ab workouts that can be performed with our sandbags, just check our fitness training library.
7. Chest Presses - Chest presses while using a workout sandbag can be performed by laying on a yoga mat. You can hold the handles and push outwards just like you would with a normal bench press, or you don't even have to hold the handles. One thing I really like to do is perform a chest press with my sandbag and then go straight into pushups to really burn out the muscles.
8. Static Holds - Any workout can be performed with a static hold. Fitness sandbags are the best for this type of workout because they can be held quite easily. A static hold is basically just performing any workout but holding the position. For example, when you perform a bicep curl, you hold the curl at the bottom or the top and really focus on the bicep muscle. While it does burn, its a good burning feeling as you know all the muscle fibers are being activated!
9. Circuit Training - As mentioned above, I usually will perform all my fitness sandbag workouts in a circuit type training. Circuit training is performing every workout one after another. Typically, if I perform a leg workout, I will go into an upper body workout and alternate between upper and lower body workouts. I also love throwing in some higher intensity workouts such as battle ropes, sprints and jump roping. I try to get little to no rest in between exercises unless I really need it.
10. Loading And Dropsets - Another favorite part of sandbag workouts is the the ability to load and drop weight in a matter of seconds. Simply add a inner bag to your main bag or remove an inner bag. Dropsets are perfect for really fatiguing the muscles and adding in some cardio type workouts. Perfect for burning extra calories at the end of your sandbag workout.
Fitness sandbag workouts are really intense and also fun but remember to eat well and eat enough as you are going to burn more calories than you would in a gym. Also, make sure to drink enough water. I aim to get at least 1-2 gallons of water a day. I know, that is a lot but your body will thank you.
To your health,
Owner - MT EVERFIT